Is a detective allowed to leave voice mails on my wife’s phone threatening me about building a case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a detective allowed to leave voice mails on my wife’s phone threatening me about building a case?

I just got a call from a detective saying that he wanted to speak with me about a burglary that happened that I had no knowledge of. At first I was willing to speak to him but he began to call my wife’s phone saying things like if I don’t come in he’s going to assume that I don”t want to cooperate and hes going to build a case against me. I have no idea what he is talking about. However, I did pay for a room for a friend at the hotel the night that it happened but I only did it because he had no where to go and I even came and bought him food and left. Is it possible for me to go to jail for something I didn’t do or had any knowledge of?

Asked on December 9, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances speak with the police without having an attorney to represent you. You are under no obligation to go in and be interrogated; you don't even need to speak with the police if they show up at your house. You could easily and inadvertently say something incriminating about yourself regarding this matter. You need to know that questioning you without your having an attorney present is to their benefit. If they can they will try and get you to implicate yourself. So no matter how friendly they may appear or, conversely, no matter how threatening they seem, do not do speak with them without a lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption