Is the custodial parent responsible to retrieve the children from a visit?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the custodial parent responsible to retrieve the children from a visit?

My fiance’ has been retrieving his children from visitations with their mother because she refuses to bring them home. Her new spouse says that it is his responsibility to bring the children one way everytime a visit is requested.The visits do not occur on a regular, every-other-weekend basis and our family is suffering due to the lack of money that is spent on retrieving the children. When she comes to get them, they say they will be bringing them back at a certian time on Sunday, only to call the next day and command us to go get them. Her spouse claims that this is our legal responsibility.

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What does the court order say?  Usually, a court order will provide for pick-up and drop-off.  If there is not a court order, then your fiance' should file a petition and get a court order. 

If there is a court order and the moter is violating it.  File an "Order to Show Cause" to make her comply.  Usually, a letter from your fiance's attorney will resolve this simple issue.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption