Is spending the family money on strippers cause for divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is spending the family money on strippers cause for divorce?

Tuesday earling morning my husband left work early withdrew 500 dollars from our family saving account we only had 850 in there, and he went to a strip club n blew the money. now when we got married we had an understanding no strip clubs cuz I don’t believe in that stuff. our kids are always aking him for mcdonalds or to but cookies he says we don’t have money. but he can spend money on stripper whores.

Asked on May 14, 2016 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In your state (Indiana), you can get a divorce based on an "irretrievable breakdown of marriage," or that you and your spouse simply do not and cannot get along any more. A significant difference over how to spend money and/or about frequenting strippers certainly could be the basis for such an irretrievable breakdown, so based on what you write, you could file for divorce. Assuming that he is not willing to agree to a divorce, this would be a contested divorce--if at all possible, it would be beneficial for you to have an attorney help you, but you are legally allowed to file the legal action on your own if you cannot afford a lawyer (you can even apply for a break on the filing fees if you don't have the money for them). You can get instructions and possibly sample/template forms from family/divorce court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption