Is sole prop ok for a small bookkeeping business in my home or should it be an llc?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is sole prop ok for a small bookkeeping business in my home or should it be an llc?

I’d be using Quik books for contractors or anyone self employed. I would be getting them organized and ready to go to their CPA at tax time.

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Definitely form an LLC: it will provide a great deal of protection for your personal assets from business debts or obligations (not perfect protection--there are ways around it, and circumstances under which it does not apply--but still, protection from most common debts and obligations). If you elect to form it with "pass through" or "partnership" tax treatment, there will no negative tax effect (the profits or losses drop directly to your personal bottom line and are taxed with your other income; there is no "double taxation").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption