Is saying someone gaining authority by sleeping with their boss defamation of character?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is saying someone gaining authority by sleeping with their boss defamation of character?

I started with a company 5 months ago and due to my experience I’ve been given a lot of authority. Now that I will be acting as a supervisor while my boss goes on vacation, everyone is saying that I am sleeping my way into the position which is undermining my authority, ruining my reputation and making coming to work dreadful.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The false statement about sleeping with the boss is defamatory.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.

Slander is spoken defamation.  Libel is written defamation.  Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.  You could sue the persons making the defamatory statements.  You would file one lawsuit naming all of these people as defendants.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for defamation) would include mental distress, loss of friends and associates resulting from the defamation, and if applicable physical illness and medical expenses.

You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption