Is refinancing the only option?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is refinancing the only option?

Unofficially the house where I live was owned by 2 of my uncles and my father. Officially the house is owned by my uncles. They are the ones on the mortgage loan. One of my uncles went back to Mexico and gave me his part. So unofficial the house is now owned by my other uncle, my father, and me. In order to make it official, would the only way to put my name or my father’s name on the title would we have to refinance the house?

Asked on May 5, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) There is no such thing as "unofficial" ownership: you own something or you don't.
2) The mortgage does not determine who owns the home--that is determined by the title.
3) The only way to make you and/or your father owners would be for you and/or him to be placed on the title by your uncles. They would have to voluntarily agree to do this--but could also refuse to do so, since as owners, they can't be made to give part of their ownership to someone else.
4) Refinancing would be a necessary part of putting you or your father on the title, since interests in the home cannot be transferred without paying off the existing mortgage. But refinancing by itself is not enough, since the people on the mortgage have to pay the loan, but do not only by being on the mortgage get ownership. Again, your uncles would have to voluntarily agree to the transfer. If they do agree, then you'd have to refinance in the process of putting you or your father on the title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption