Is picking up something off the side of the street illegal.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is picking up something off the side of the street illegal.

I was accused of Armed Robbery, I found an
skateboard on the side of the street and took it. It
was abandon nobody was around the skateboard. It
had no name no address no proof that it belonged to
someone. I was wondering does this fall under
Mississippi State Code 87-12-17.

Asked on August 23, 2019 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, if you did simply pick up a seeming abandoned item where the owner was not specified (so there was no reasonable way to contact him/her) that is not robbery or theft, armed or otherwise, since there was no criminal intent (crimes require a criminal state of mind or intent as well as a potentally criminal act). If there is evidence or testimony that you fact robbed someone (e.g. took it from someone by force) that would be different, but the facts you describe do not constitute a crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption