Is physical abuse grounds for a marriage annulment?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is physical abuse grounds for a marriage annulment?

I’ve been married 4 months. My wife physically abuses me hits me, kicks me, throws things at me. I have marks and bruises on me.

Asked on July 12, 2018 under Family Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, physical absue is not grounds for an annulment. An annulment is not given for behavior during or in a marriage, but rather when there is something which made the marriage inherently invalid or void, like one spouse not being mentally competent, one spouse being too young to legally marry, one spouse being married to another person at the time they try to marry someone else, etc. Abusive conduct does not invalidate a marriage, but would be grounds for divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption