Is notarized letter that states child support pymt considered legal documentation?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is notarized letter that states child support pymt considered legal documentation?

My nephew has a 1 yr baby with his girlfriend (not married). He signed a typed document that states he will be paying $535/mo to his girlfriend as child support. This was taken to a bank to be notarized. This letter was used in addition to the girlfriend’s pay stubb to be qualified for an income based appt. Is this notarized letter considered a legal contract for him to pay the child support?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Probably not, because the court needs to determine child support and sign an order. The court follows guidelines set by state law.

Your nephew needs to get legal advice regarding his parental obligations under state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption