Is my tenant responsible for paying for heat and electricity in common areas front hallway and basement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my tenant responsible for paying for heat and electricity in common areas front hallway and basement?

My lease reads ‘Tenant shall be
responsible for arranging and paying
for all utility services required on
the Premises. The Tenant shall arrange
to have the utilities transferred into
Tenant’s name prior to occupancy, and
shall be responsible for paying the
following utility services gas,
electric and heat’

The lease does not state anything about
the common areas.

Asked on November 29, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In New Jersey, tenants do not pay utilities (e.g. heat, electric, water, etc.) for common areas: they only pay for the actual leased premises (i.e. the apartment or unit they rent). The landlord has to provide utilities for any common areas and also for any space used by or reserved to the landlord him/herself. I have practiced landlord-tenant law for 7 years in New Jersey and have never seen a judge order a tenant to pay common area utilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption