Is my roommates parents bound by the lease to pay me back money owed?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my roommates parents bound by the lease to pay me back money owed?

My roommate and I both signed a lease when we moved into our apartment. Her mother cosigned the lease. Over the course of the last 8 monthes I have been paying her rent and cable cause she was unable to pay and I didn’t want to get evicted. The total is $4600 that is now owed to me. She is planning on moving to baltimore in two monthes at the end of our lease. I need to know if I can legally hold her mother responsible for the repayment of the money I put out.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, since the mother co-signed for her daughter, you can seek compensation from the mother. When she co-signed on the lease, she assumed responsibility for paying whatever her daughter would be legally obligated to pay under the terms of the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption