Is my Pennsylvania employer required to pay me accrued vacation pay if they sell the company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my Pennsylvania employer required to pay me accrued vacation pay if they sell the company?

The privately held company I work for is about to be sold to another company in the same industry. They have a written policy in place to pay accrued vacation pay to employees if the employee leaves the company in good standing. There is no written policy that covers the accrued vacation days if they sell the company. Please advise.

Asked on February 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In PA thereis no law that an employer must pay workers for earned vacation time upon termination. Each employer is free to establish their own policy regarding payment of such time. However, if the employer has an established policy to pay earned vacation upon termination, they must honor it.  As for the rest of your question, here is a link to an answer that will explain:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption