Is my marriage legal if my husband was already married when we wed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my marriage legal if my husband was already married when we wed?

I married my husband 3 years ago but he is still married to someone that ran off on him. I was lied to about the whole thing and this year a guy showed up at the door to deliver a paper to my husband so he was caught in that lie. Do I have to file some paper with the court or is this marriage not even valid and I shouldn’t worrie about it?

Asked on March 31, 2016 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your "marriage" is void. THis means that it does not exist. The fact is that her "husband" cannot have 2 "wives" at once. Until his first marriag e is legally dissolved, he cannot enter into another marriage. At this point, to clarify your legal position, you should file for an annulment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption