Is my landlord liable for moisture and mold damage to my personal property?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my landlord liable for moisture and mold damage to my personal property?

I live in a multi-unit building and recently became aware that the crawl space under my apartment has flooded. I have no access to it and am not sure how long it has been that way but it was exacerbated by a recent burst pipe. My personal property inside the apartment has suffered moisture and mold damage. The local health inspector came but did not find mold on the walls and referred me to the County Board of Health. I am waiting to hear back. Will my damages be covered by my landlord’s insurance, and if not, is she liable for the damages since she failed to address the flooding?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you had advised your landlord previosuly of water intrusion issued with the rental that you are renting from him or her and nothing was done by the landlord to look into the situation and later on your personal property was damaged as a result of the water intrusion, the landlord very well could be liable for the damages that you sustained.

You need to remember that you would bear the burden of proving liability and damages for your claims against the landlord. I would place your landlord on notice about the situation with a letter keeping a copy for future need. Whether or not your belongings are covered under his insurance policy will have to be determined from the language of the policy of insurance.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption