Is my employment secure if I have to further my education to meet the requirements of the job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employment secure if I have to further my education to meet the requirements of the job?

When I was hired into my position almost 1 year ago I was asked to provide my high school diploma or GED. I provided my employer with what I thought was a high school diploma. In our recent medicaid review 2 weeks ago it was pointed out that I had a certificate of attendance not a diploma. The human resource person, executive director and my immediate supervisor had all approved my credentials before I began orientation. I am now being told that I will be transferred to a different department with drastically fewer hours

until I can take the GED classes and the GED exam all of which I have to pay out of pocket. I am further being told that my current position may not be here when I get back. I am asking if my employer is correct in the way they are handling the situation. I am very willing to take the steps necessary to secure my GED, however I feel that I acted in good faith when I began this job and the my is employer is at fault concerning my credentials.

Asked on May 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your treatment constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination (which you did not indicate) or violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it is legal. As an "at will" worker, your company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. For you part, you can either comply with your employer's request, refuse but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption