Is my father responsable to pay back taxes on our property we own together if he died?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my father responsable to pay back taxes on our property we own together if he died?

My father passed away 7 months ago and we have a delinquent tax bill from the year before. I owned property with him. The property is not mortgaged. Is the estate responsible for clearing up the tax debit for the pa property before the money can be split among my sister and I? She is the administrator of the estate and won’t tell me anything. Should the money that is owed on the taxes count as his debt to and be paid by his estate? My dad and I are both on the deed and tax bill. My dad had no Will.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your question, the percentages of ownership on the property between you and your deceased father will determine most likely how the unpaid property tax bill is to be allocated between you and your father's estate assuming the tax bill owed was for the time period he was alive. If not, then a portion of the bill is owed by the estate.

However, if you end up getting the entire home that you are on title to with your deceased father, I would simply pay the tax bill myself and move forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption