Is my father entitled to a portion of the proceeds from selling a house that is willed to me and my sister?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my father entitled to a portion of the proceeds from selling a house that is willed to me and my sister?

My grandmother left her house to my father until he dies (lifetime occupancy rights) and the will says that it shall not be “encumbered” while he lives there. After he passes, my sister and I are to own the house. I don’t understand my rights to have access to the house or to the rent money that is collected. He has since built his own house and is renting my grandmother’s house to a tenant. He is collecting rent but is not keeping up with the maintenance on the house. He says that he is thinking of selling it and splitting it between the three of us. I am afraid that he will try to sell it.

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your Father is a Life Tenant and you and your sisters have a remainder interest.  Your father can indeed transfer his interest to live in the house to another party - which he apparently has - but he can not sell the house as he does not own it.  A court could allow him to do so to live some where else but he already does. You may need to get some legal help here in ironing out the issues with Dad.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption