Is my employer paying me illegally?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer paying me illegally?

I work at a hotel. I am not an independent contractor and I work for the company. The housekeepers are being paid for 30 minutes per room they complete. Most of the time there are housekeepers working until 8 pm and only get paid for 4 hours because they only finished 8 rooms Employees have voiced their concerns and complaints to the management and the owner but they still stand by what they’re doing. The employees are getting shorted hundreds of dollars every week.

Asked on October 23, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under the labor laws--the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state law--an hourly employee must be paid for all hours worked; there are not exceptions. And an hourly employee is anyone not paid an hourly salary or certain kinds of commissioned (e.g. sales) employees. Therefore, if the housekeepers are not being paid for all time worked, the law is being violated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption