Is my eligible for automatic citizenship through her father?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my eligible for automatic citizenship through her father?

My daughter is 22 years, has a disability and has been a permanent resident for almost 3 1/2 years. She got her permanent resident through her father. Her father became a citizen in 2006 when she was 12 years old. Would she qualify to gain automatic citizenship through her father? Since her father became citizen before she was 18 years old.

Asked on August 8, 2016 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, by operation of law, if she was a permanent resident and under the age of 18 when her father became a US citizen, she automatically became a citizen at that time as well.  She can apply for a passport and if you want an additional proof of her citizenship, you can apply for the citizenship certificate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption