Is my domestic violence case eligible to be sealed or expunged?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my domestic violence case eligible to be sealed or expunged?

Was in a domestic violence case where I was

determined a non batterer and the case was

dropped by the state of Colorado. I want to

seek new employment as a medical assistant

and am worried about this being on my record

making it difficult to find a new job.

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In CO, records are "sealed" not expunged. While nt all cases are not eligible, completely dismissed cases can be sealed immediately assuming that they were not dismissed as part of a plea bargain in another case. A person can attempt this process themselves but having an experienced attorney handle the matter might be a good idea. At this point, you should seek legal counsel in the are of where the incident took place; they can best further advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption