Is my divorce valid?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my divorce valid?

In April last year my husband announced to me that we were actually divorced. I was shocked and asked for proof. He then sent me a Findings and Order after Hearing document which contains my signature but I never attended any hearing. I also have a Notice of Entry of Judgement document which shows Dissolution and also a Judgement document which also shows Dissolution. I have never agreed to any of the terms within the documents yet I’m apparently divorced? Can you confirm that the information I currently hold is enough evidence to suggest I’m divorced?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Family Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I have never heard of a person getting divorced without knowing about it. furthermore if your signature is on the paperwork but isn't your than that's fraud and immediately makes the divorce invalid

What I suggest is that you hire yourself an attorney because you will need to get this straightened out and the way things sound as if they went down the first time you will want to make sure someone is watching out for your best interests. The attorney can also help get the divorce as of now invalidated and it may possibly become a larger issue if someone impersonated you and/or signed your name

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption