Is my daughter entitled to half of grandfathers house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my daughter entitled to half of grandfathers house?

My daughter’s dad passed away while his
father was still alive her
grandfather he had no will and no wife
but had two children my daughter and
her dad sheget ain’t still lives in the
house with her children but is now
trying to put the house in her name is
my daughter entitled to half the house
before she does it or any inheritence
and will she get it before they put the
house in her name or after? Please let
me know because she wants n to meet
with a lawyer soon and told me to sign
papers to make her head of estate or

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

When somoene dies without a Will, they are said to have died "intestate". This means that the laws of the state in which the deceased was domiciled in at the time of their death will prevail.Typically in such a situation an estate is divided among the surviving spouse, if any, and the children of the deceased. The exact split is dependant on specific state statute. That having been said, if any child predeceases their parent, then that child's share goes to their children (i.e. the grandchildren of the deceased). At this point, a local probate attorney should be consulted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption