Is my boss allowed to take money from my final check due to a personal and non-business related situation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my boss allowed to take money from my final check due to a personal and non-business related situation?

My ex boss helped me buy groceries and buy a part for my car and when he fired me he took all that money out that he used to help me out. I have texts showing that he didn’t ask for anything in return.

Asked on March 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No your boss is not allowed to do this. Other than for legally mandated deductions (i.e. taxes, child support, garnishments, etc.), an employee must be paid for all hours they work. This is true unless there exists a written agreement between the worker and their employer to the contrary. The fact is that your pay and any money given by your boss to you have nothing to do with the other. This is not to say that you do or don't owe the money, just that your paycheck cannot be withheld becasue of it. At this point, you an file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor of sue in small claims court to recoup all amounts due you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption