Is it wrong of my employer to not sign me up for insurance even though he offers it and I am eligible for it?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it wrong of my employer to not sign me up for insurance even though he offers it and I am eligible for it?

I have worked for the same employer for 10 years. He offers health insurance for employees who work over 25 hours a week. Due to college and high school, I have only been working over 25 hours a week (I am full time now) for about 6 months. I have been asking for the papers for the insurance since then and he says he will get them to me and never does. He has given no other reason for not getting me the papers to sign up. Other employees have the insurance he provides. What action can I take to force him to get me the insurance papers so I can sign up for it? I am eligible for it in every way.

Asked on April 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

May I ask: is there a waiting period before you can be added to the health insurance?  I understand that you have worked there for 10 years but you have only been eligible for 6 months by your own admission.  If you have passed the initial waiting or probationary period and you qualify in every other way as you claim, then I would ask formally in writing one last time.  If you are not given any reason then you can consider filing a complaint with the department of labor on the matter.  Is there a personnel department that can help you?  Of someone other than whom you have been dealing with on the matter?  I would hate to see you ruin your relationship with your employer after all this time.  See if there is any other way to have someone help mediate the issue.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption