Is it worth my time to pursue a lawyer to help me get a refund from a website building company located in India that did a poor job?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it worth my time to pursue a lawyer to help me get a refund from a website building company located in India that did a poor job?

About 2 years ago, I paid a company called Fitser to create a website for my business. They took 6 months, constantly pressured me into paying for more things like apps, and the final website is poor quality. I spent $7,680 on it and it has broken links all throughout, misspellings, etc. I even asked them to fix the issues and they never did. They will not issue me a refund.

Asked on July 2, 2019 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it's not even close to worthwhile. You'd have to sue in India, which means you'd be hiring a foreign lawyer, to bring a case in a foreign country, under foreign laws--meaning you'd have effectively no way to understand or monitor what is going on or make sure that the lawsuit is viable and worthwhile; and even if you did win, if the company did not voluntarily pay, you'd then have to pursue collections in India, and it's not clear how effective the collections mechanisms in India are. You could spend a great deal of money and not get anything back. Also, I have some slight knowledge of Indian courts in the context of intellectual property, and they seem to strongly favor their own nationals over foreignors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption