Is it true that my landlord will send the rent to the collection agency if I brake the lease?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it true that my landlord will send the rent to the collection agency if I brake the lease?

My parent is my co-signer of the written contract for 1 year of the apartment. Now my school enrollment credits change. I decided not to move to the apartment. I talked with my manager the other day, she said, ” If you decided not to move in, the company will send the $4548 to the collection, there is nothing the company can do about it.” What I did so far is reading the lease agreement to see if it is true?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The lease is a contract and you and your parents are bound to the terms.  You can not brak your lease unless the landlord lets you out or the court does.  Yes, they can send it to collections and your parents as well.  Please go and speak with an attorney (possibly one on campus that can help?) to see if you can either sublet or negotiate a deal.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption