If I signed a settlement release but I didn’t have it notarized, is it too late to ask for more money?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a settlement release but I didn’t have it notarized, is it too late to ask for more money?

I was in an auto accident which was not my fault. My car was totalled and I had $900 in medical bills. The adjuster offered me $1500 and I was dumb and accepted. If I can ask for more money, what would be a good amount?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Personal Injury, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you agreed to the settlement and signed the release, you can't get any additional money.  The fact that the release wasn't notarized is irrelevant.  In exchange for receiving the settlement check, you signed a release which gave up any and all claims you had against the at-fault party in your auto accident.

If you had not agreed to the settlement, you could have continued negotiating with the insurance company for additional compensation.  If you were dissatisfied with settlement offers, you could have rejected the settlement offers and filed a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party/registered owner of the vehicle.  Once the case is settled, it is too late to file the lawsuit and nothing further can be done. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption