Is it really best to pay for an attorney for 1st offense of 14 grams of meth?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it really best to pay for an attorney for 1st offense of 14 grams of meth?

Son was driving and was pulled over with 14 grams. Cops threatened to make all of his family pay if he didn’t allow search of his apartment. They found nothing there. His bail is set at $100,000. He’s been locked up for one week and doesn’t have another court appearance until the 21st of this month. Should we try to get a lawyer?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can afford a lawyer, it is always best to retain one.  However, if your son cannot afford a lawyer the state will appoint one for him.  Public defendars are good lawyers, albiet they can be overworked with giant caseloads.  But I am sure whoever gets appointed will do the best he can for your son.

That said, you can always retain a lawyer. Look for one that handles mostly, if not exclusively, drug crimes.  Not a jack of all trades attorney.  Sounds like you may have a suppression issue.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption