is it possible to overturn a felony conviction?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it possible to overturn a felony conviction?

My previous attorney encouraged me to take a plea
agreement for an assault case to avoid possible
prison time and going to trial. I felt I wasnt guilty and
would be able to support that. He also stated that I
would be able to begin visitation with my kids again. I
believed him, and now I have a felony, 2yrs
probation and still not able to see or talk to my kids.
Am I able to fight the previous conviction to clear my

Asked on February 5, 2019 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can only potentially overturn it if there is some basis for a successful appeal: new facts or evidence, recently discovered, which would have provided you a defense had you known them previously, or evidence of some error of law in how the judge ruled in the case. Just being dissatisfied with the outome is not enough; you need some reason to actually be able to show it was incorrect or unjust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption