Is it possible to obtain free legal help in regards to a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to obtain free legal help in regards to a divorce?

Im currently going through a divorce, in which my husband has not complied with
the court. My lawyer has recently dropped my case due to the fact that I can no
longer afford to pay her. My husband and I own a profitable business in which he
has removed me from all bank accounts. So I currently have no income after 31
years of marriage. Im looking for any legal advice.
Thanks in advance,
Sandra Garcia

Asked on April 10, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can see if legal aid can help you. If not, see if there is a law school in your area as they run legal clinics that take clients for free or reduced fees. Finally, see if your local county or state bar association has a list of lawyers who represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption