Is it possible to have 50/50 custody of our 3 year old without anyone paying child support?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to have 50/50 custody of our 3 year old without anyone paying child support?

My child’s father and I are applying for divorce but we want to share custody and

don’t want any parent to pay child support. We just want to end our marriage

and continue to raise our daughter as we would before divorce working together

and sharing all costs. Is that possible?

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Family Law, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The General rule in your state is that unless the parents are following a 50/50 parenting time split, the non-residential parent pays child support to the residential parent. If Maine parents have equal pay and participate in substantially equal care custody, child support is generally not awarded to either parent.  And you can always agree to that as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption