Is it possible to get the class B misdemeanor off my record without waiting the required 4 years because I was under the age of 21?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get the class B misdemeanor off my record without waiting the required 4 years because I was under the age of 21?

I am now 21 and I have a class B Misdemeanor on my record for credit card fraud. I had been 19 at the time and had borrowed my step mother’s credit card and plead guilty. I was told because I was under the age of 21 I could have it removed from my record without waiting the 4 years. Is this possible? If so how do I go about doing so?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were convicted of a misdemeanor when you were nineteen (19) years of age there is the possibility that you can have the misdemeanor expunged. Meaning, have the conviction eliminated through a motion filed with the court.

Whether or not there is a possibility to have this conviction expunged you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Not all applications to expunge a conviction are granted. Factors depend upon how long ago was the conviction, what the conviction was for, the reasons for the request and what the convicted person has done since.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption