Is it possible to get support lowered without going to court?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get support lowered without going to court?

Have been paying $500 monthly for the past 7 years and got married and had a child in the last year. The support has never been changed.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Any change in an order will rquire some time in front of the court.  The simplest way to accomplish a change is if the parties agree to the change and submit and agreed modification order.... which involves only a minimal time in front of the judge. If your ex- does not agree with the change, then you will have to have a contested hearing.

If your ex- suggests that you just pay them less in support (and don't worry about changing the orders), do not rely on this representation.  Even if the ex- agrees, the court did not give you the same permission... this means that the state or your ex- could file a motion later to have you held in contempt for violating the court order.  Going to court by agreement or by a contested hearing will save you a ton of future potential woes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption