Is it possible to get restitution dropped?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get restitution dropped?

I stole from my mother 13 years ago when I was 15 years old. I got charged with theft in the 2nd degree probation and $22,000 restitution. I have been off probation for many years and now have $18,000 left to pay. My mother and I were wondering if it was possible to get the restitution dropped or settled and, if so, what are the steps to do it?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with a criminal attorney in your are on the matter in order to get an accurate understanding of the matter.  Because you were a juvenile at the time of the conviction you may be able to have some of the restitution waived based upon state statutes.  But generally speaking, certain state courts only waive the restitution forcompelling and extraordinary reasons. Now, if the application was made by your Mother that may in fact have an impact on the matter.  And it does seem that you have paid some of it back.  But the reasons behind restitution make it one of those issues that courts do not wish to budge on.  I would also speak with the attorney about making sure your juvenile record was properly sealed.  Good luck to you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption