Is it possible to get my job back from which I was fired under wrongful circumstances?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get my job back from which I was fired under wrongful circumstances?

I worked for a beauty supply retail store for 5 years. The last year I was manager. I took a short leave of absence to tend to my mother after she had surgery for removal of cancer. I came back and was fired for supposedly being seen drinking alcohol on the job. Of course that is completely untrue. The person who made the initial allegation is now manager of the store. It was found by the state unemployment department that they had no proof and I was granted compensation. However, I built an excellent clientele and loved every minute of everyday I worked there. This all happened about a year ago.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you had protection under the terms of a union agreemwent or employment contract, you have no claim here. The fact is that most employment is "at will", which means that a worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. Bottom line, absent legally actionable discrimnation, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption