Is it possible to get a roommate taken off your lease if they are purposely causing damage to the apartment?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a roommate taken off your lease if they are purposely causing damage to the apartment?

My roommate (my sister) had trashed my apartment for the second time in as many weeks, shattering glass and marking up the walls and carpet in hopes that she can wreak enough damage to make sure I don’t get the money back that I put down as a security deposit on the apartment. I don’t know what to do any more. I’m a student in college and am afraid of taking action for fear that it would affect my credit score and as such my ability to get a loan for school fees. Is there anything I can do to get her off the lease and forcibly removed from the apartment?

Asked on January 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your sister who is also on the lease is damaging the rental where you are concerned that problems are going to get worse with her, the one way to get her off the lease with you is to see if the landlord can intervene in the situation by having her vacate the unit if things are that bad. Should that happen, you will have to get another roommate.

One other possibility is if you have a roommate agreement between the two of you controlling what to do in the event of bad behavior like you have written about.

The last option is for your sister to voluntarily end her lease for the rental and you then get a new roommate to step into her place after she vacates.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption