Is it possible to get a fraudulent small claims suit thrown out before it going to court?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a fraudulent small claims suit thrown out before it going to court?

The tenants failed to clean the unit at all when they left, caused damage and left things behind. It took more than there deposit to get the unit back to where it was when they moved in two years ago. I sent them their letter with full itemization, walkthrough report, pictures of the unit when they moved in, pictures of when they moved out, detailed invoices with notices of payment in full, applicable lease sections, and their own assertions that they would return it in the exact condition that they received it in. Now they are taking me to small claims court under false statements that they left the unit in cleaner condition than when they moved in and with no damage despite the letter I sent them with the evidence to the contrary. I just got served today with the initial notice. Is it possible to get this thrown out before having to go to court due to the propensity of evidence on my side and their false statements in the claim? It would be very difficult for me to travel back to CT for the court case.

Asked on September 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there are no motions to dismiss or for summary judgment (which are the mechanisms to dismiss a case before trial) in small claims court. You have to go to trial and present your proof that there is no factual basis for the claim there, in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption