Is it possible to get a cop to get access to ATM footage/information?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a cop to get access to ATM footage/information?

I was recently involved in a hit and run accident outside of my workplace. I was the one who was hit. My manager checked the cameras and we called the cops. They took a copy of the video and filed a report. The guy that did the hit and run used an atm inside the store before he committed the accident. Is there a way for them to check the ATM history and see what the guys name was or at least get a clear picture of his face? I’m just confused as to why the police officer didn’t do this.

Asked on June 15, 2019 under Accident Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It can be done with a warrant issued by a judge: the officer cannot simply requisition this material without a warrant. In fact, while a bank could share the surveillance video voluntarily if it chose (but could also refuse to do so), it could NOT share the transaction history, which goes to the customers' financial privacy, without a court-issued warrant. That said, the police could certainly seek a warrant if they wanted to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption