Is it possible to garnish another persons assets when they live in another state?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to garnish another persons assets when they live in another state?

So about 2 years ago I cosigned on a loan with another person a year later he left to live in another state. I now have a debt collector calling me left and right to collect this money he owes them. I think it has gotten to a point where we need to sue him in a court of law. Is it possible to get the money from him if he resides in another state? I also heard from a friend that since he works for a national company ( I will not name the company but safe to say they are a very large international company) that the collector can garnish his pay checks through that company is this true?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all sattes in this country, once there is a judgment against a person and that person resides in a state other than the one that the judgment was rendered, then the judgment creditor can file an application for a sister state judgment writ of levy and garnishment to grab assets of the judgment debtor in the state of residence.

If you get sued on the loan that you co-signed for, you need to cross complain against the person that received the benefits of the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption