Is it Possible to fight a lease break case that is like a years old?

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it Possible to fight a lease break case that is like a years old?

I broke my lease because of unconditional living conditions such as bed bugs, gangs, violence, drive bys, and much more. The manager at that time said that she could work with me and allowed me to move out. But she ended up going to jail, and sold the property and now its on my credit. So i can’t get an apartment. Help me Please

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you face an uphill battle with the credit agencies.  You can go to and request a copy of your report.  Further, the site explains how to challenge, seek verification of, or submit an explanation surrounding a particular item on your history.  I don't see any basis for your recission of the lease, and the landlord's agent's verbal agreement to allow you out is likely unenforceable.  I do suggest you challenge the items in question and request the credit agency to obtain verification.  If you are lucky, perhaps the business is no longer in operation, they will be unable to verify and your challenge will be sustained.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption