Is it possible to change the owner of property on the final paperwork?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to change the owner of property on the final paperwork?

We agreed on the divorce and are separating our possessions between us but I am waiting for her to decide whether she wants to keep the house because it suits her needs better. Can we file preliminary paperwork to start the 90 day waiting period but change who receives the house on the final papers if we change our minds?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes!!  Get that 90 day waiting period started.  To start the case, you can just check the boxes on the Petition fro Dissolution that " [ ]          The division of property should be determined by the court at a later date."  This allows you to work out the details dring the 90 day waiting period.

I typically start people with this so they have time to think about a final solution.  The only time I recommend filling out how you want all the property divided is when you do not believe the other party will respond.  If they do not respond, you typically get what you asked for, as the other side had notice of what you wanted and did not take issue with it by responding.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption