Is it possible for the government and the bank to take someone’s trust fund due to the acts of another?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible for the government and the bank to take someone’s trust fund due to the acts of another?

My uncle left me a trust fund that was to be giving to me after I turned 18. However because of legal issues the account was seized. Now the bank and government have taken all of the money because of the money he owed them for tax evasion and they believe he made the money selling illegal software.

Asked on September 29, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: they are the IRS. The US government.  Their powers are quite far reaching. Although they can not access funds not owned by the debtor, the money in the Trust Fund might still have been considered his.   Now, the thing is that if your uncle still had access to the funds - if it was a revocable trust  or he could still withdraw and deposit - and you had yet to turn 18 the funds were not really yours yet.  So the government could seize them.  I think that the matter is worth looking in to by speaking with a tax attorney on the matter.  You would need to bring what ever documentation that you have available to you.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption