Is it possible for my husband to adopt my 2 children from a previous marriage, without their biological father’s consent?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible for my husband to adopt my 2 children from a previous marriage, without their biological father’s consent?

I have 3 children – 1 with my current husband and 2 from a previous marriage. My ex husband is currently incarcerated for rape of my minor sister. He has not seen my children for over 6 years and is not scheduled for release until next month. We would like for our older children to legally have the same last names the rest of their family, and the man whom they consider their dad, and we would also like to be able to add them to our health insurance policy. We are currently paying for coverage that we would not have to otherwise if they were legally my husband’s.

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No.  Such an action would require filing to terminate the biological parent's rights first, followed by a step parent adoption. One of the basis for a Termination of Parental Rights is abandonment. 

For a consultation call 612.240.8005. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption