Is it our responsibility toreimburse someone for utilities that were accidentally billed to them?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it our responsibility toreimburse someone for utilities that were accidentally billed to them?

We received a letter stating that the company who manages the townhomes next to our home as been paying our electric bill since August 2005. It also states that we owe them over $7,000. We called the electric company for an explanation of what happened and someone from their company entered our address into their account. Should we contact a lawyer to represent us?

Asked on February 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well I think you may need one to negotiate the bill if the statute has not run.  And even if it has run on some level it may be tolled (extended) if they only just discovered the mistake. Did you not notice that you were not being charged for electric?  For almost 6 years?  And you never inquired as to what was going on?  I do not think that you are going to have much of a defense here if they choose to sue you.  Think about it.  The law is not going to allow that you be unjustly enriched and allow the townhouse managers to be unjustly burdened by having to pay out the funds on your behalf.  It just does not work that way.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption