If I’m divorcing, is my wife entitled to any part of a personal injury settlement that I’m getting?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m divorcing, is my wife entitled to any part of a personal injury settlement that I’m getting?

It is for an injury that I suffered during our marriage.

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your spouse's rights to such a settlement remain the same as if you were in a stable marriage, unless there is a legal separation agreemnt in effect. 

That having been said, if the settlement is to compensate for injuries, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment or medical bills that do not have any impact on the marital estate, then such a settlement is treated as separate property (i.e. awarded to the injured spouse). 

Although, i should be noted, some state courts have held that a personal injury settlement is marital property in certain circumstances:

  • If there is a commingling assets by accepting the entire settlement in one check made payable to both parties;
  • If it is compensation for lost wages; and
  • If they are for medical bills that have an impact on the marital estate. 

Additionally, if there is a lower settlement amount than there would otherwise have been due to low policy limits or a lack of funds from the responsible party, the court has the discretion to allocate a portion of the settlement to lost wages even though the settlement indicates that it's for personal injury only.

At this point you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area as to the specifics of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption