Is it ok to sign someone elses signature on a continuance letter even with their permission?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it ok to sign someone elses signature on a continuance letter even with their permission?


My brother is currently going through a divorce and must appear in court. The court date conflicts with his work schedule as he is a boat captain that is currently offshore and will not make it back in time to go to court. He wants to send an order for continuance and asked me to type, and mail out for him as he is unable to do so on his boat. He also asked me to sign his signature on the letter. However Im unsure if this legal or have somehow have an y other implications. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Asked on February 24, 2016 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not ok: signing his signature on the letter would be fraud on the court and fraud on the other party, and could subject you to liability. Do not do this. Let him hire an attorney: a lawyer may legally ask for a continuance or adjournment on this behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption