Is it OK for my landlord to come into my home with out talking to me frist?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it OK for my landlord to come into my home with out talking to me frist?

My landlord is a creep; he sits out side my house from morning until dark “fixing things” . Well one day I noticed a lock was locked and I didn’t lock it;another time things were moved. Yesterday I hadn’t gone outside all day beacuse I was upset about my landlord always in my backyard. My boyfriend and son left, so I wet to get in the shower and when I got out my landlordws in my house. I told him get out, that I was naked. He said I’m just checking on the water.

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, your landlord may only enter without your permmission:

1) For a genuine emergency--a major water leak, a gas leak, a fire, some signficant electrical problem, etc.

2) On proper notice--usually at least 24 hours--for purposes of repair, maintenance, inspection, or to show the premises or rent or sale.

He may not simply come in to "check on the water."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption