Is it ok for my employer to make only me wear my hair up?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it ok for my employer to make only me wear my hair up?

I work at a gas station with a lot of
women but I am a man and have long hair
yet I am the only one who has to wear
my hair up. I was just wondering if
this is legal because we don’t even
have a rule to wear our hair up in the
first place.

Asked on April 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer is generally allowed to tell a worker how to groom, especially for safety reasons or to make sure that they are clean and presentable on the job. Additiionally, employers are allowed to enforce different dress code standards for women and men. Thay having been said, they may not impose a greater burden on either gender. Accordingly, unless you wear your hair long due to a medical condition or for reigious reasons, you'll have to put your hair up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption