Is it legitimate to proceed for a lawsuit if I got injured after 7 years?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legitimate to proceed for a lawsuit if I got injured after 7 years?

While working for one of my previous
employers, I was responsible for the
stocking of the cooler,and various
parts of the store. I was employed
there for three3 and a half years.
During that time span, the company did
not provide me with a safety back
brace, and now I have serious back
issues. There is another situation as
well, but I will wait to ask.

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is far to late to sue for this injury. There is a only a certain amount of time during which you can bring a lawsuit, called the "statute of limitations." In your state, for personal injury (i.e. for a physical injury) the statute of limitations is 2 years; therefore, you would have had to have filed the lawsuit within 2 years of being injured. After 2 years have passed, you can no longer sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption