Is it legally possible for a minor to found and head a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legally possible for a minor to found and head a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation?

I have the drive, time, and motivation to do all of the forms (I have done research — I know it is a lot of work) and other necessary legal work properly and completely. Would it be possible for me to found and act as president of a nonprofit corporation, perhaps if my parents also sign off of everything to consent to me being in these positions and to promise that they will take full legal responsibility (I know that someone under 18 cannot themselves be held to most contracts)?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the minor with respect to your question would need a guardian to act on his or her behalf as to the desired non-profit corporation until the minor reaches the age of adulthood. The reason is that the minor under the laws of all states in this country cannot legally contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption